Welcome to “MASFAP Matters!” If you would like to participate by commenting on the postings, please take a moment to “Register.” You may also “Subscribe” to simply receive an email when a new post is submitted. If you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yesterday, the 2018 MASFAP Board met to collaborate on the coming year for MASFAP. The day included reviewing responsibilities and expectations, a budget and finance overview, board use of the website including reaching out to volunteers, setting goals, planning the year on the calendar and teambuilding. Attached are some pictures taken yesterday at this 1-day board retreat in Columbia.
You kind of get nostalgic when you go through photos, newsletters, and memorabilia that spans several decades… particularly since I will be retiring soon. Not many of us MASFAPIANS (the term coined by Cindy Butler) can look at stuff from 30+ years ago and remember when it actually happened. There were four of us on the Archives Committee during this past year that were able to do just that to some degree or another—Melinda Wood, Cindy Butler, Karen Harden, and myself. It was a privilege to work with Melinda and Cindy as life-time MASFAP members and current members, Kelly Fleming, Erika Holzinger, Ashley Richardson, Karen Harden, and Kathy Dixon to prepare a display of archived materials collected over the years and to publish the MASFAP 50th Anniversary Memory Book. It was a labor of love and we felt so honored to be recognized at the conference by President Hager for our committee work. We really had wished Cindy could have been there with us to celebrate. This is such a wonderful group of people to work with who were so dedicated, creative, and productive. Erika way out did herself on the committee and producing a new little human being this past October —Adalyn Violet. Congratulations and kudos to Erika who was definitely the committee over achiever!
As I end my year as Archive Chair and will shortly end my career in Financial Aid, I can’t help but be sentimental about my MASFAP memories. This organization has allowed me to learn so much about financial aid. It has provided a network of colleagues that have always been willing to listen to my problems, provide insight, offer solutions, and to have some great fun with. MASFAP has provided an opportunity for professional development and to meet so many wonderful people who are truly dedicated to this industry and to helping students. I have seen, first hand, what it looks like when people are passionate about what they do. You can’t help but know each of you are truly touching the lives of students in a positive, life changing way. Keep fighting for students, MASFAP!
So let me dry my eyes and wrap this up. MASFAP offers something for everyone. You will get way more out of MASFAP than you will ever have to put in. Once you get involved in the organization, you will want to continue to be involved. You can make a difference in the lives of students when they really need it. And every five years you get to celebrate another milestone of being awesome.
Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a new year filled with health, hope, happiness, and prosperity.
Congrats MASFAP on 50 years! #masfapturns50
MASFAP President Amy Hager’s Opening Remarks (Amy is AWESOME):
Dr. Derek Greenfield Keynote Speaker (the ENERGY is AMAZING):
Whether you are a newcomer or you have an overwhelming number collection of conference badges on your office wall, the 2017 MASFAP Annual Conference is the one NOT to miss! This year, MASFAP is celebrating 50 years with the theme, “Celebrating Our Past, Inspiring Our Future.” And, here are 50 reasons why you should attend the MASFAP Fall conference November 6-8 at the Lodge of Four Seasons:
1. Everyone will be there!
2. Conference registration fee is only $50 per attendee
3. There are over 50 breakout sessions and general sessions to choose, ranging from Department of ED track, Business office track, Birds of a Feather, Speed sessions and many more.
4. Dr. Derek Greenfield will be kicking off our conference inspiring all of us with his keynote: Confronting ourselves: Building for Diversity, Cultural Competence, and Inclusive Excellence
5. There will be a fancy Gala to celebrate MASFAP’s 50th Anniversary. Will be a great way to celebrate, network and see how nice we all clean up
6. #Fight4FinAid rally will happen during the break Monday at 3:30, you won’t want to miss this!
7. Zach Goodwin, Trainer for the U.S Department of Education will be presenting several sessions as well as providing the Federal Update.
8. Leroy Wade, Assistant Commissioner of the Missouri Department of Higher Education will not only be providing the state update but also our auctioneer for our live auction Monday night!
9. Zora Mulligan, J.D., Commissioner of the MDHE will be joining us Tuesday for the conference.
10. Billie Jo Hamilton, NASFAA National Chair will not only be giving the NASFAA update Monday evening during dinner but will also present two breakout sessions on Tuesday.
11. Dr. Nick Prewett, MASFAA President will be giving us the MASFAA update during Tuesday lunch as well as presenting two breakout sessions.
12. Speed sessions help you learn something new in just 10-minutes and cover an array of fun and hot button topics.
13. Newcomers will get to hear how MASFAP all started and will get to visit with previous Bob Berger award winners
16. Network, yes it is that important to list three times
17. Renew your excitement about the work you do
18. Since it is the 50th Anniversary, this is a great way to see friends that have been out of the industry for a while.
19. Get face to face time with associate members during exhibit hall hours.
20. We are social! Some of the best highlights and photos are shared on social media during the conference and you can share your great ideas.
21. A few days away from the office to regroup and rejuvenate
22. Nancy Penna, Regional Director from National Student Clearinghouse will be presenting on Enrollment Reporting Services.
23. Our charity this year is the MASFAP Scholarship fund, what a great way to give back to our students
24. Monday evening activity will be Trivia night with Live and Silent auction for the MASFAP Scholarship.
25. Excited to see everyone in their 50th Anniversary commemorative t-shirts!
26. Be sure to vote for MASFAP’s Who’s Making a Difference Scholarship, there will be a designated table in the Exhibit Area with copies of each application/story.
27. Stop by the Registration table and look for the Who’s your Person banner in the Granada Foyer and take a few minutes to thank your person.
28. You won’t want to miss the inspiring student success stories Monday night
29. Aaron Lacy with Thompson Coburn is back with us to present on Consumer Information and Borrower Defense regulations.
30. You won’t want to miss all of the cool things that will be put in the time capsule, what would you like to see go in there?
31. The 2017 Leadership Development group will be sharing their experience when they went to Washington DC and student advocacy.
32. Be there for the time capsule burial, Wednesday morning at 8am, where it will stay for the next 25 years.
33. Birds of a feather sessions Tuesday afternoon; great way to talk with similar institutions and peers.
34. We have a complete Business Office track that won’t disappoint
35. We are bringing back the Director’s Roundtable facilitated by Becca Diskin with Missouri Southern State University and a great way to share knowledge and experience.
36. Hear from retired past presidents and award recipients in a panel discussion called A View from the Other Side moderated by Cindy Butler and Melinda Wood
37. You can win something great when you bid on either a live or silent auction item. Don’t forget cash or check! All proceeds will go towards MASFAP Scholarship Fund
38. Great way to break out of your comfort zone and meet a new friend. Sit with someone you don’t (yet) know.
39. There is nothing like being in a room full of like-minded people
40. Have Fun! I am not sure this is the most important, but definitely didn’t want to leave it off the list.
41. Learn from the best. So many sessions already mentioned on this list and so much more.
42. Who doesn’t like free swag from our exhibitors to take back and share with the office?
43. Find out if one of your top 3 picks for MASFAP’s Academy Awards wins at the Gala Tuesday night
44. Put on your dancing shoes and get ready for a night of celebrating, remembering and of course dancing.
45. We are on Guidebook now, so if you haven’t already, download from your app store and search for passphrase masfap2017
46. Don’t worry, everyone will still get a beautiful Program guide as well!
47. Don’t forget to join in on the fun Monday afternoon during break and complete your very own “Why I Fight For Financial Aid” sign and join us at the Rally!
48. The Gala is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up, mingle and celebrate MASFAP awards and Oscar winners
49. Come walk the red carpet, pose for a picture and dance the night away as we honor our past and inspire our future for the next 50 years!
50. Can’t wait to see everyone next week and I hope you enjoy the conference as much as we have all enjoyed putting it together
Whew! That is a lot of reasons – there is still time to register! Go to www.masfap.org – hope to see you at the Lake!
Jamie Davis is the 2017 Program Chair
Not too long ago, I was puzzled how September passed by in a blur… and now I feel the same way about October. Time is flying by! Fall keeps trying to make an appearance… one chilly morning for my daily walk with our dog I wore a down vest … in contrast a few days later at the pumpkin patch with our grandson the temperature was 80 degrees. Ghosts, ghouls, skeletons and other assorted decorations have appeared throughout my neighborhood, and the stores have Halloween candy prominently displayed… as well as even some holiday displays. This can only mean one thing… the MASFAP conference is around the corner!
This time of year always puts me in the MASFAP state of mind. Crazy temperature changes, Halloween decorations and the holidays right around the corner, it just gets me thinking about and looking forward to MASFAP! I look forward to learning new regulations and best practices from my esteemed colleagues, and I look forward to seeing all of your friendly faces. This year, I’m looking forward to seeing old friends, renewing friendships and meeting new friends. And I know we are going to have a fabulous time at the 50th celebration! If you haven’t already, please register for the annual conference at http://www.masfap.org/docs/conferences/site/index.html – here you can complete your registration, book your hotel, and view the draft program agenda.
Have a great week and see you at the Lake…in exactly two weeks from today!