Whether you are a newcomer or you have an overwhelming number collection of conference badges on your office wall, the 2017 MASFAP Annual Conference is the one NOT to miss! This year, MASFAP is celebrating 50 years with the theme, “Celebrating Our Past, Inspiring Our Future.” And, here are 50 reasons why you should attend the MASFAP Fall conference November 6-8 at the Lodge of Four Seasons:
1. Everyone will be there!
2. Conference registration fee is only $50 per attendee
3. There are over 50 breakout sessions and general sessions to choose, ranging from Department of ED track, Business office track, Birds of a Feather, Speed sessions and many more.
4. Dr. Derek Greenfield will be kicking off our conference inspiring all of us with his keynote: Confronting ourselves: Building for Diversity, Cultural Competence, and Inclusive Excellence
5. There will be a fancy Gala to celebrate MASFAP’s 50th Anniversary. Will be a great way to celebrate, network and see how nice we all clean up
6. #Fight4FinAid rally will happen during the break Monday at 3:30, you won’t want to miss this!
7. Zach Goodwin, Trainer for the U.S Department of Education will be presenting several sessions as well as providing the Federal Update.
8. Leroy Wade, Assistant Commissioner of the Missouri Department of Higher Education will not only be providing the state update but also our auctioneer for our live auction Monday night!
9. Zora Mulligan, J.D., Commissioner of the MDHE will be joining us Tuesday for the conference.
10. Billie Jo Hamilton, NASFAA National Chair will not only be giving the NASFAA update Monday evening during dinner but will also present two breakout sessions on Tuesday.
11. Dr. Nick Prewett, MASFAA President will be giving us the MASFAA update during Tuesday lunch as well as presenting two breakout sessions.
12. Speed sessions help you learn something new in just 10-minutes and cover an array of fun and hot button topics.
13. Newcomers will get to hear how MASFAP all started and will get to visit with previous Bob Berger award winners
16. Network, yes it is that important to list three times
17. Renew your excitement about the work you do
18. Since it is the 50th Anniversary, this is a great way to see friends that have been out of the industry for a while.
19. Get face to face time with associate members during exhibit hall hours.
20. We are social! Some of the best highlights and photos are shared on social media during the conference and you can share your great ideas.
21. A few days away from the office to regroup and rejuvenate
22. Nancy Penna, Regional Director from National Student Clearinghouse will be presenting on Enrollment Reporting Services.
23. Our charity this year is the MASFAP Scholarship fund, what a great way to give back to our students
24. Monday evening activity will be Trivia night with Live and Silent auction for the MASFAP Scholarship.
25. Excited to see everyone in their 50th Anniversary commemorative t-shirts!
26. Be sure to vote for MASFAP’s Who’s Making a Difference Scholarship, there will be a designated table in the Exhibit Area with copies of each application/story.
27. Stop by the Registration table and look for the Who’s your Person banner in the Granada Foyer and take a few minutes to thank your person.
28. You won’t want to miss the inspiring student success stories Monday night
29. Aaron Lacy with Thompson Coburn is back with us to present on Consumer Information and Borrower Defense regulations.
30. You won’t want to miss all of the cool things that will be put in the time capsule, what would you like to see go in there?
31. The 2017 Leadership Development group will be sharing their experience when they went to Washington DC and student advocacy.
32. Be there for the time capsule burial, Wednesday morning at 8am, where it will stay for the next 25 years.
33. Birds of a feather sessions Tuesday afternoon; great way to talk with similar institutions and peers.
34. We have a complete Business Office track that won’t disappoint
35. We are bringing back the Director’s Roundtable facilitated by Becca Diskin with Missouri Southern State University and a great way to share knowledge and experience.
36. Hear from retired past presidents and award recipients in a panel discussion called A View from the Other Side moderated by Cindy Butler and Melinda Wood
37. You can win something great when you bid on either a live or silent auction item. Don’t forget cash or check! All proceeds will go towards MASFAP Scholarship Fund
38. Great way to break out of your comfort zone and meet a new friend. Sit with someone you don’t (yet) know.
39. There is nothing like being in a room full of like-minded people
40. Have Fun! I am not sure this is the most important, but definitely didn’t want to leave it off the list.
41. Learn from the best. So many sessions already mentioned on this list and so much more.
42. Who doesn’t like free swag from our exhibitors to take back and share with the office?
43. Find out if one of your top 3 picks for MASFAP’s Academy Awards wins at the Gala Tuesday night
44. Put on your dancing shoes and get ready for a night of celebrating, remembering and of course dancing.
45. We are on Guidebook now, so if you haven’t already, download from your app store and search for passphrase masfap2017
46. Don’t worry, everyone will still get a beautiful Program guide as well!
47. Don’t forget to join in on the fun Monday afternoon during break and complete your very own “Why I Fight For Financial Aid” sign and join us at the Rally!
48. The Gala is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up, mingle and celebrate MASFAP awards and Oscar winners
49. Come walk the red carpet, pose for a picture and dance the night away as we honor our past and inspire our future for the next 50 years!
50. Can’t wait to see everyone next week and I hope you enjoy the conference as much as we have all enjoyed putting it together
Whew! That is a lot of reasons – there is still time to register! Go to www.masfap.org – hope to see you at the Lake!
Jamie Davis is the 2017 Program Chair